April 27, 2016
During Men’s Health month, we encourage you to help your man plan for a healthier lifestyle.
Making positive changes to a daily routine can enrich your health and help you enjoy life longer.
You depend on your man to help take care of his family, go to work and to be there to help coach your kids
soccer game. But are they staying on top of their game by taking care of their health?
The human body is like a car- proper maintenance is imperative to keep the motor running smoothly
and extend the life of the vehicle. Help your man have a plan by adopting some of these healthy habits
into your family life and encourage him to take the time out to schedule a “tune up” wellness appointment with a primary care doctor.
- Get Sleep - Insufficient sleep can cause a variety of chronic diseases and conditions. Adults need an average of 7 to 9 hours of sleep each night.
- Move More - Adults need at least 2 ½ hours of moderate intensity aerobic activity (such as brisk walking) every week. Miss the glory days of playing sports in high school and college? Consider enrolling in a recreational league with friends.
- Tune Up - See your doctor for regular check-ups. Certain conditions like hypertension or high cholesterol are treatable, but ignored can cause serious further health complications and can even become life threatening.
Here are some guidelines to help your man know what to get checked during his “tune up”.
If your man is middle-aged (30-45) here are the top things he should get checked annually:
- Blood pressure check
- Cholesterol (LDL/HDL) levels
- Thyroid level
- Eye exam
Then at age 50, they should add the following (unless risk factors determine early screenings recommended):
- Colonoscopy (to check for any abnormal polyps)
- Prostate exam
- PSA level
It is even easier to schedule your exam with our online appointment tool. Choose a time that works best fo your schedule.