COLONOSCOPY PREPARATION - PLEASE READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY
These prep instructions ARE SAFE FOR for patients with Renal/Kidney insufficiency or who are on dialysis!!!
If you are taking the following medications: Aggrenox or Aspirins, please stop these 5 days prior to procedure.
If you are taking Blood thinners like Coumadin/ Jantoven/Warfarin/Halfprin/Heparin/Plavix/ Clopidogul/Effient/Pradaxa, please stop these 5 days prior to procedure. If you are taking Xarelto please stop it 72 hours prior to procedure. If you are taking Eliquis please stop it 48 hours prior to procedure.
If you are taking any supplements that contain iron, please stop those 5 days prior to the procedure.
If you are on a BLOOD THINNER, please contact your Primary Care Physician (PCP) to obtain permission to HOLD this medication. Please notify us of PCP’s response. If you have questions regarding any other medications you are taking, please call your PCP.
DIABETIC PATIENTS: PLEASE CONTACT YOUR PCP PRIOR TO YOUR PROCEDURE FOR DIABETIC MANAGEMENT OF MEDICATIONS.
You will need to take the day off from work and have someone with at the facility while you are there. This person will drive you home. The facility will not release you without a responsible person to sign you out. You and your driver should plan on being at the facility a total of 2-3 hours.
Please note: There is a 2 BUSINESS DAY Cancellation policy for all services. If we do not receive at least a 2 BUSINESS DAY notice, you will be charged for the missed Procedure.
If you are a new patient to our office, please bring with you the New Patient Packet that was included with these instructions.
Your GoLytely Rx is either included or has been escripted to your pharmacy. If you think you may need to do step 7 then go ahead and purchase a fleets enema.
The day before the procedure, you must be on a clear liquid diet for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
DO NOT HAVE: Solid foods, milk or milk products are not allowed. Avoid anything with red, orange, or purple coloring.
Approved liquids: You may have water, tea, and coffee without cream, any juice without pulp, soda, bouillon, Gatorade and flavored Jell-O - Only drink something that you can see through when holding it up to the light.
- Start drinking the GoLytely solution at 5:00 PM
- Drink 240 mL (8 oz.) every 15 minutes. Rapid drinking of each portion is better than drinking small amounts continuously. The first bowel movement should occur approximately one hour after the start of GoLYTELY administration. You may experience some abdominal bloating and distention before the bowels start to move. If severe discomfort or distention occurs, stop drinking temporarily or drink each portion at longer intervals until these symptoms disappear.
- Continue drinking until you have consumed the first half of the gallon of solution.
- You must continue to drink lots of water/clear liquids to prevent yourself from becoming dehydrated.
- At 11:00 PM drink the second half of the Golytely solution. Unless your stools are complete liquid and clear you must complete the second half gallon of the solution. You must continue to drink lots of water/clear liquids to prevent yourself from becoming dehydrated.
- Nothing to drink after 3:00 AM.
- If your stools are still not clear and watery do a Fleets enema 1 hour prior to check in; you should have results within 2-5 minutes.
IF YOU TAKE DIURETICS OR BLOOD PRESSURE MEDICATION, MAKE CERTAIN TO DRINK 2 QUARTS OF WATER THE DAY BEFORE THE PROCEDURE IN ADDITION TO ABOVE.
TAKE ALL HEART AND BLOOD PRESSURE MEDICATION WITH A SIP OF WATER @ 6:00 AM THE DAY OF YOUR PROCEDURE. ALL OTHER MEDICATIONS MAY BE TAKEN AFTER THE PROCEDURE.
CHECK IN 1 HOUR and 15 minutes prior to above time
Menorah Medical Center
Entrance B – Outpatient Registration
5721 W 119th (119th & Nall), Overland Park, KS
Research Medical Center
2330 E Meyer Blvd Medical Office Bldg
(not through main hospital lobby)
Kansas City, MO 64132
Physicians Surgery Center
3840 W 75th (75th & Mission), Prairie Village, KS
Overland Park Surgery Center
10601 Quivera Road, Suite 100, Overland Park, KS
PLEASE CALL US FOR RESULTS 7 – 10 BUSINESS DAYS AFTER PROCEDURE