Advanced heart care delivered by experienced, skilled and compassionate cardiovascular specialists—right in your community
At HCA Midwest Physicians, our team of over 40 board-certified, fellowship-trained cardiologists include:
- Internationally renowned cardiac researchers – Our doctors work to advance cardiac care by leading large clinical trials, many investigator initiated research project, and by authoring numerous peer reviewed publications.
- Leading cardiovascular educators – Our physicians are frequently invited speakers and train other specialists at medical education events.
- Pioneers in the latest heart treatments – Our cardiologists were the first in the region to perform minimally-invasive bypass surgery and a protected percutaneous coronary intervention with biventricular support using two Impella heart pumps.
World-Class Cardiology Care
The cardiologists at HCA Midwest Physicians offer:
- Comprehensive heart and vascular care that assures a smooth and seamless course of treatment.
- General cardiology
- Cardiac imaging
- Interventional cardiology
- Cardiovascular surgery
- Extensive cardiovascular experience – Our cardiologists care for more hearts in Kansas City than any other hospital system in the area.
- A multi-disciplinary team approach – Your treatment plan doesn’t come from one heart specialist. It is developed by the whole team and in partnership with you. Our specialist meet regularly to discuss cases to ensure you are receiving the most effective treatment plan possible. And your wishes and needs are always taken into account.
- Convenience and easy access - HCA Midwest Physicians cardiovascular doctors offer care at 11 Kansas City area heart clinics, several rural clinics and 7 KC area hospitals so that no matter where you live, you never have to travel far.
- A patient-centered care philosophy – Patient care should be empathetic, responsive and best in class.
- Empathetic – We strive to understand your lifestyle and how your symptoms affect you as a person. That way we can figure out how to best care for you.
- Responsive – We continually strive to have more access, whether it is through increased availability or telecardiology, so you can get better care.
- Best in class care – Healthcare has to be right, safe and effective so you can live longer and in better health.
We accept most major Insurance plans.
Meet Our Cardiologists
Comprehensive Cardiology Expertise in Kansas City
At HCA Midwest Physicians we are committed to providing comprehensive care for all stages of heart disease. From doctors and nurse practitioners that assess your risk, to interventional cardiologist and surgeons that perform some of the most advance procedures, we offer all areas of cardiovascular subspecialty care.
- General cardiology – Our cardiologists excel at diagnosing all types of cardiovascular disease, progressive heart treatments and working closely with their colleagues when a more specialized level of care or surgery is needed.
- Electrophysiology – The Kansas City Heart Rhythm Institute (KCHRI) is staffed by electrophysiologist who are renowned educators, researchers and clinicians in the area of arrhythmias.
- Cardiothoracic surgery – Our cardiothoracic surgeons are experts in complex heart procedures and provide compassionate care for the best outcomes.
- Interventional cardiology – Our interventional cardiologists are experienced and skilled at the latest minimally-invasive procedures for emergencies and treatment of chronic heart and valve conditions.
- Vascular Surgery – Our vascular surgeons offer the latest treatment options and were the first in the region to perform minimally invasive bypass surgery.
- Emergency heart care – HCA Midwest Physicians offers five accredited chest pain centers where our interventional cardiologists partner with emergency personnel to offer an exceptional level of care. Our physicians are regional leaders in cardiogenic shock treatment, emergency care for cases when the heart is unable to pump enough blood to support the body.
Accredited Chest Pain Centers
- Centerpoint Medical Center
- Lee’s Summit Medical Center
- Menorah Medical Center
- Overland Park Regional Medical Center
- Research Medical Center
Structural Heart Center
The cardiovascular and cardiothoracic specialists at the HCA Midwest Physicians Structural Heart Center at Research Medical Center provide cutting-edge treatments for patients with heart disease related to structural defects or damage. Procedures include:
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
- Transcatheter mitral valve treatment
- Atrial spetal defect/Patent foramen ovale closure
- Left atrial appendage closure (LAAC)
HCA Midwest Physicians’s vein clinics are staffed by our expert vascular surgeons and interventional cardiologists who have extensive experience in diagnosing and treating conditions impacting the veins and arteries with comprehensive, personalized treatment plans.
Learn more about our Kansas City vein clinics
What is a Cardiologist?
A cardiologist is a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases and conditions of the cardiovascular system – the heart and blood vessels. A general cardiologist or non-invasive cardiologist is the doctor you will see if your primary care physician refers you to a heart doctor.
What is an Electrophysiologist?
Sometimes referred to as a heart “electrical specialist,” an electrophysiologist (EP) specializes in diagnosing and treating heart rhythm disorders and performs minimally-invasive procedures such as pacemaker implantation, ablations and others to fix arrhythmias.
What is an Interventional Cardiologist?
An interventional cardiologist uses specialized imaging and minimally-invasive, catheter-based procedures to diagnose and treat heart conditions. Procedures include opening blocked arteries in emergency heart attack situations and transcatheter aortic valve replacements (TAVR).
Find an Interventional Cardiologist
What is a Cardiothoracic Surgeon?
A cardiothoracic surgeon, sometimes known as a “heart surgeon,” specializes in surgeries of the organs inside the chest (thorax), which generally includes the heart and lungs.
What is a Vascular Surgeon?
A vascular surgeon diagnoses and treats conditions involving the circulatory system (blood vessels – veins and arteries). Conditions they treat include abdominal aortic aneurysms and blocked arteries which can commonly occur in the neck or legs.
Common Conditions Treated
- Abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmia) – when the heart beats at a fast or abnormal rhythm
- Advanced coronary artery disease -- when the major blood vessels that supply the heart with blood, oxygen and nutrients are failing
- Aortic aneurysm – an abnormal bulge in the wall of the aorta
- Aortic Stenosis – the narrowing of the aortic valve opening
- Angina – chest pain or pressure due to heart disease
- Chronic coronary total occlusion (CTO) – when heavy plaque buildup causes the total blockage of a coronary artery
- Chronic, debilitating heart conditions
- Coexisting cardiac medical conditions
- Aortic valve disease
- Congestive heart failure – when fluid builds up around the heart and prohibits normal function
- Coronary artery disease – damage or disease in the arteries supplying blood to the heart
- Heart attack
- Multivessel coronary artery disease with decreased left ventricular function
- Structural heart valve disease – the narrowing of the aortic valve
- Valve disease – when one or more of the heart’s valves are not working as they should.
- Stress Testing – Treadmill Stress Test, Stress Echo, Nuclear Stress Test
- Heart Scan (Coronary Calcium Scoring)
- Cardiac MRI
- Cardiac CT
- Advanced Blood Flow Testing
- Heart Echo – Transthoracic and Transesophageal
- Nuclear Heart Test
- Cardiac Catheterization
- Cardiac stent
- Chronic Total Occlusion Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (CTO PCI)
- Percutaneous repair of septal defects
- Revascularization by percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI)
- Percutaneous left ventricular assist device
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
- Heart ablation
- Cardiac implantable electronic devices (pacemaker)
- Left atrial appendage closure
- Aortic stent grafting
- Aortic valve replacement
- Coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG)
- Heart valve repair
- Heart valve replacement surgery
- Implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) placement
- Mitral valve replacement
- Off-pump CAB
- PFO/ASD Closure (repair of holes in the heart)
- Surgical left ventricular assist device