Advanced, comprehensive gastroenterology care from board-certified, fellowship-trained GI specialists with convenient locations throughout the Johnson County, Kan. and Kansas City, Mo. metro areas.
For more than 35 years, the gastroenterology and hepatology experts of HCA Midwest Health have been providing exceptional services using progressive treatments and technologies for GI- and liver-related conditions. Our gastroenterologists are skilled in the latest minimally invasive therapies for gastrointestinal disorders like GERD, GI tumors, Barrett’s esophagus, Achalasia, Gastroparesis, Obesity, Inflammatory bowel disease and Pancreatic disease. Our highly-trained specialists are also known for high-quality, advanced care and management of liver disease including non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and hepatitis.
Gastroenterology Expertise in Kansas City
Our experienced GI doctors, complemented by an exceptional support staff, are completely dedicated to offering each patient the one-on-one, personalized care he or she deserves. GI and liver problems can be complex, and our physicians work hand-in-hand with their primary care and fellow specialist colleagues to develop the plan of care to meet each patient’s needs and foster the best possible outcome. Our physician expertise encompasses:
- General gastroenterology – all common GI procedures including upper endoscopy, colonoscopy and capsule endoscopy
- Therapeutic and diagnostic endoscopy – endoscopic ultrasound, advanced direct visualization of the pancreas and bile ducts, large polyps and tumor removal using the latest minimal invasive technologies.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) center of excellence – offering latest technologies in GERD management like Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication (TIF), minimally-invasive magnetic implants and other procedures.
- Liver disease – chronic hepatitis, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, end stage liver disease management and post liver transplant care
- Kansas City Complex GI workgroup – advanced management of complex GI disorders and cancers of the GI tract, liver and pancreas. We offer a multidisciplinary approach, partnering with surgery, oncology, radiology, pathology, radiation oncology, genetics, and other specialists. All specialists meet weekly to review and plan the care of patients with cancer and complex GI disorders.
- Obesity medicine – certified physician metabolic weight loss program and non-surgical bariatric procedures
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) – Comprehensive evaluation and treatment – including the latest medicines for disease remission – for Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis
- Advanced Clinical Trials – Access to cutting-edge medicine for liver disease, IBD and GI oncology
Specialized GERD diagnosis and treatment expertise
One of every five people in the U.S. suffers from some form of GERD, and for many, the condition is chronic and debilitating. The HCA Midwest Health GI team offers special expertise and resources for GERD including diagnoses, monitoring and advanced treatments.
Among our available treatments is the new advanced transoral incisionless fundoplication (TIF), a minimally invasive, outpatient treatment available at our Research Medical Center and Menorah Medical Center locations. The new TIF procedure offers the same relief as traditional fundoplication with the additional advantages of an incisionless approach – no scars, faster recovery and fewer potential complications and side effects.
Our GERD Center of Excellence also offers a minimally invasive implant reflux management procedure in which an implant is placed around the LES muscle to help it stay closed unless food is passing through it into the stomach. The procedure has proven to control GERD symptoms, reduce reliance on medicines and improve quality of life for patients.
Specialized achalasia and gastroparesis diagnosis and treatment expertise
Achalasia is a disease that affects the esophagus. It results from failure of relaxation of the lower esophageal sphincter, and is often accompanied by a loss of normal movement of the muscles of the esophagus. Symptoms include difficulty of swallowing liquids and solids. It can also present with regurgitations and chest pain. Although surgery used to be the main treatment option, our specialists currently offer incisionless treatment through endoscopy, peroral endoscopic myotomy – eliminating the need for surgery. Peroral endoscopic myotomy has shown to be just as effective, if not superior, to surgery for the treatment of achalasia. Gastric peroral endoscopic myotomy can also be offered to patients with gastroparesis as an alternative to medications, which can have significant side effects. The procedure has shown to significantly improve symptoms in patients with gastroparesis.
What is a Gastroenterologist?
A gastroenterologist is a physician specializing on digestive system health, diagnosing and treating GI diseases and disorders. These physicians, while not surgeons, perform endoscopic procedures using special instruments to look into the GI tract.
Common conditions treated
- Abdominal pain
- Celiac disease
- Colon cancer
- Constipation and Diarrhea
- Crohn's disease and Ulcerative colitis
- GI bleeding
- Gastrointestinal polyps resection
- GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux or Acid Reflux Disease)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome - IBS
- Microscopic Colitis
- Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH)
- Peptic Ulcer Disease
- Barrett’s disease ablation
- Capsule Endoscopy
- Colonoscopy and Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
- Double Balloon Enteroscopy
- Endoscopic Dilation
- Endoscopic mucosal resection
- Endoscopic Polypectomy
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
- Endoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection
- Endoscopic suturing
- Endoscopic Ultrasound
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD)
- Esophageal/Gastric Manometry
- pH Monitoring
- Peroral Endoscopic Myotomy (POEM)
- Liver biopsies
- Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication (TIF)